Inside the Quilter's Studio #3: Frederick's Rose Star

Today's post is by Frederick, who blogs at Orange Explains It All. Some of us have seen this quilt in person several times along its journey and it's amazing to see the final finish! Also, I'd love some more submissions to Inside the Quilter's Studio - don't be shy! Email me at dcmqgtreasurer@gmail.com.

Rose Star quilt features red binding, white backing and two red triangle boarders. 88 x 87 inches with angled corners. 
It took 8 months to complete the top using the nineteenth century hand sewing technique called English paper piecing. The final quilt top required 54 blocks and unknown number background white hexagons with wings to fill in between the colors. Once the top was completed, next came the gruesome two day work of hand basting together three layers of fibers (pieced top, cotton batting, and backing fabric) on hands and knees.  I was sore after that work out in places I don't normally get sore.  Finally 10 more months of hand quilting the layers together and at last binding all the edges. I began in Jan. 2012 and finished in August 2013. Fast for an all hand made quilt.

Rose Star embroidered label on the back and corner detail 

close up of my label 

two sides have long red triangles running to finish the edges. 

folded view

Special Thanks to Jessica blogging at Life Under Quilts who pointed me to Clare's blog: Selfsewntutorial, and Flickr. group: RoseStar Block Party for the inspiration and instructions how to do this project that was so much fun I couldn't stop at six block and went on to make many more. Once I began English paper piecing it was like eating candy I kept wanting to make more so I determined I had to make a bed sized quilt. I also thank my Mom for all her support and encouragement. Each new block was an excellent adventure. It was thrilling anew each time I chose new fabric fat quarters or old shirts or remnants to combine in a number of ways for colored stars. Then the fun kept coming when I began combining the rose stars on my design wall. It was a wonder to lay away afternoons and nights dreaming and rearranging their order. Keith and many friends, who saw my blocks as they came together, were so enthusiastic about the results it drove me right through to the finish. Thank you all for your encouragement and supporting comments. Now who wants to see it up close and personal?