January Sew Along

Hi everyone!

I'm excited to let you know that we're continuing our tradition of a sew along at our January meeting (January 18th, 10:30-4:30 at Arlington Central Library). The sew along is optional, but in case you want to participate, here's a preview of the project we'll be working on and the supplies you'll need.


We're going to be stitching up a pin cushion and thread catcher using a free pattern designed by Elizabeth Hartman of Oh, Fransson! on that can be found on the Sew, Mama, Sew website here. I've had this on my "to make" list for literally years, and am glad I finally have the motivation to make one!

Here is the material list from the pattern:

Fabric A:

  • 9” x 14” for Scrap Bag Lining
  • 5” x 5” for Pincushion Top

Fabric B:

  • 7 1/2” x 23” for Pocket Panel
  • 1 1/2” x 10” for Loop on Pocket Panel (also cut from fusible interfacing)
  • 5” x 5” for Pincushion Top

Fabric C:

  • 9” x 14” for Scrap Bag Exterior
  • 2 1/2” x 9” for Scrap Bag Facing (cut two from fabric and two from fusible interfacing)
  • 3” x 10 1/2” for Pincushion Bottom (cut two)

You will also need:

  • Lightweight Fusible Interfacing, cut as described above
  • 9” Flannel Square for Weight Bag
  • 2 1/2” x 5” piece of Wool Felt for Pincushion Top
  • Polyester Fiberfill*
  • 1 1/4 Cups Uncooked Rice*
  • 1” Button
  • Disappearing Ink Marker (or similar)
  • Thread to match fabrics and button and Hand Sewing Needle

* Suggested pincushion filler. 

I made a sample this afternoon, and it came together really quickly. You may want to cut the fabric ahead of time so you can dive right in, but if you don't have time you could do it easily when you get there.

I used ground walnut shells instead of the uncooked rice for the pincushion weight. Pennies might work as well. Also, I didn't have any flannel, so I just used a scrap of regular quilting cotton for the weight bag and it seemed to work fine. I have some fiberfill and felt I will bring to share. 


I'm looking forward to sewing along with all of you next month! Let me know if you have any questions in the comment below or email me at dcmqgtreasurer@gmail.com.