QuiltCon 2018 Recap - 3 Perspectives

Three QuiltCon 2018 perspectives from three different members; Eunice, Megan, and Sari:


Eunice

I’m new to the quilting world and I hopped at the chance to spend a few days in Pasadena CA for Quiltcon 2018.  I was there for the first 2 day so of the convention and I could definitely have stayed longer.  Since this was my first time at Quiltcon I wanted to make sure I got a good sampling of what Quiltcon was all about.  I took a hand appliqué class with Karin Jordan and it was fantastic. The class was just for the morning and it was an excellent way to take a class and still have time to explore the rest of the convention. After the class I made my way to the vendor show room and it was quilt supply heaven! I would definitely recommend doing a first pass and then make your purchase selections.

The second day I dedicated to walking through the exhibits and seeing all of the show quilts.  See all of the immense talent all together was really incredible.  If you wanted to see the back of a quilt all you had to do is ask one of the ‘white glove’ volunteers and they were happy to tell you about the quilt and who you the back if you would like.  There were several quilts that a lot of people were going, how’d they do that!?!

Here are some favorites that Eunice wanted to share:


Megan

QuiltCon is a great opportunity to improve your eye for the modern quilting aesthetic, find quiltspiration, learn new skills and spend time with friends. The trip to Pasadena last week was my third QuiltCon. This year I made a vacation out of it and took the full week off to enjoy some time with friends in San Francisco and in Joshua Tree National Park prior to the start of the conference. Arriving at QuiltCon is exciting - charity quilts line the halls and sewlebrities move from class to class. This year, I took three classes with Kristi Schroeder, Kim Eichler-Messmer and Libs Elliott. I also got a lecture pass for Saturday and listened to some amazing talks from Lee Chappell Monroe, Chawne Kimber, Laura McDowell Hopper and Carolyn Friedlander, who gave the keynote this year.

In addition to classes and lectures, the quilt show at QuiltCon is unparalleled. This year, there was a special exhibit by Carolyn Friedlander, sections of the AIDS quilt, selected work from the Social Justice Sewing Academy and all of the quilts that made it into the juried show. It great to see works that highlight the tenants of modern quilts, I especially loved the minimalist, applique, handwork, improvisational, and modern traditional categories. QuiltCon is run by a small MQG staff, crew and army of volunteers. This year I volunteered to help with the breakdown and found it a really rewarding experience. I would recommend volunteering to people who are especially interested in making new friends and getting a behind the scenes look at how they put on such a great event. I hope to see more friendly DCMQG faces in Nashville!


Megan has shared some of her work from the workshops and a favorite from the show:


Sari

Quilt Con in Pasadena this year for me was via the eyes of a caffeinated booth worker! I was asked to join the Handi Quilter booth as an Educator to demonstrate and teach on the machines. Last minute, I was then swapped over to showing off Quilt-Pro software since I've been using it a bit and now have a designer collection with them. A few fun things to note about Quilt-Pro if you aren't aware (which I wasn't either): 
  • it's less expensive than the "other" quilt software programs out there (plus I have a personal 25% off code - SARIDITTY - if you'd like to try it out); 
  • it offers a 30-day trial of the software with full return if you hate the program; 
  • the user manual and 14 class lessons are included in the purchase price; 
  • additional more advanced lessons are available at no charge via the QP web site;
  • updates are always available at no charge (unlike that "other" software that I spent so much money on to get the newest version and STILL can't figure the dang thing out);
  • you can design in a multitude of ways/layouts;
  • yardage reqs are figured out including whatever size binding you want to use, as well as backing amounts.

I really didn't have much time walk around and see many of the quilts on display. But the ones I did see just confirm my inability to understand what the judges' criteria is for submissions. There were a few that truly looked like children slapped them together compared to exquisite quilts I know were rejected. I don't think I'll ever understand the qualifying and judging process. But that's ok...because I'm not a judge, nor do I want to be! 

I managed to sneak in one LIVE video with Kristi Schroeder, Initial K Studio, and briefly discuss her new book, Southwest Modern, and our addiction and love for Daylight Company. If I could marry my SlimLine Lamp, I would! Not to mention the handful of other amazing items I've spent all my dollars on! I love them so much that yes, I have a code for 20% off any shopping via their site too: SARIDITTY18

The Me+You booth was within view and looked amazing as usual with their vibrant batik bolts. The new Olfa Splash rotary cutter is pretty, for sure, but also not as pink and punchy as I expected it to be. Just a heads up in case you're expecting a bright Pepto Bismol pink...it's not. 

Other than that, Megan may or may not have helped me with a shot of bourbon in my coffee one morning. The jury is still out on that one!