We meet monthly, with a focus on Sew-Ins meetings and some member tutorials. At meetings members can socialize, be inspired by one another's work, or just get some serious sewing done without the distractions of home. Each year, our September sew-in is dedicated to charity projects.
We also take advantage of the (free!) cultural activities in the DC area including museum trips to gather inspiration for future quilts, and hand sewing on the Mall.
We are a local guild member of the Modern Quilt Guild, and all of our members receive the membership benefits of the Modern Quilt Guild.
If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to our officers:
- Megan Haider, Co-President: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phyllis Jaffe, Co-President: email@example.com
- Nisha Bouri, Secretary: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Erinn Shirley, Treasurer: email@example.com
Interested in becoming a member? Here's how:
Potential members are allowed to attend two DC Modern meetings before committing to membership and paying dues. (Note: our September charity sewing day is open to everyone, so please come and bring a friend or two!) For more information, see our bylaws in the tab above. There are several ways to pay your dues:
- On our side bar, you'll see a PayPal button to pay the dues online. You don't need a PayPal account to pay - you can also use a credit or debit card. If you choose this option, please include your full name in the "Notes to Seller" on PayPal since we may not recognize you from your PayPal email. Also, please include the email you'd like for us to register with the MQG. Alternatively, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org to let me know you paid online.
- In Person: You may bring your payment to any meeting. We'll accept cash, check, or credit card (which will be run through the PayPal app for mobile phones/iPad).
- By Mail: If neither of the options above work for you, you may mail a check to Robin Tilsworth (email email@example.com and I'll send you my mailing address).
- Scholarship:Email firstname.lastname@example.org to request a scholarship for full or partial dues.
Please see the Q&A below and email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
with any questions.
Questions & Answers
Q: How much are dues?
Dues for the 2016/2017 year (which lasts through June of 2017) are $45.
Q:What does this get me?
Paying dues to the DC MQG will grant you membership with the national MQG and the benefits associated with that membership (see below). In addition, membership will cover fees when we need to rent meeting space and discounted tickets/first priority to any outside speakers or special events. As funding allows, we may be able to purchase supplies for special challenges and workshops. Your DC MQG membership will also get you into our guild's swaps, bees, the ability to register for guild retreats and the ability to order guild t-shirts.
MQG Member Benefits:
- Access to the online community
- Opportunities to participate in inter-guild swaps and challenges
- Discounted fees to enter MQG quilt shows
- Discounted rates on conferences and events
- Priority and early-bird registration on conference and event admissions
- Discounts and special offers with MQG sponsors and affiliated companies
- Membership Card
- Blog Button
- 10% discount on online MQG merchandise purchases
For existing members dues must be paid by June 30th to maintain good standing status. New members may attend two meetings, after which they will need to pay dues to continue membership. Dues will cover membership through June 2017.
Q: What will happen if I don’t pay dues?
If you have attended two DC MQG events, you will not be able to attend our regular meetings or receive member benefits from association with our group or the MQG unless you pay dues. Also, we will remove existing members from the national MQG register. We will continue to have a limited number of spaces for the general public to participate in our sewing days hosted at the Arlington Public Library, but members will get first option for sewing stations.
Q: What if I can’t afford the dues?
We have a modest scholarship fund for all or part of the dues. If you’d like to request a scholarship, please email the Treasurer at email@example.com with your request ahead of the deadline for dues. Once we have all scholarship requests, we will notify individuals of whether we can fund the entire request or prorate based on the amount in the scholarship fund. The scholarship fund will be maintained separately from our operating funds, and any remaining balance will be carried forward into the next year.
Q: Will my dues cover all participation in DC MQG events for the year?
The activities included in the dues are listed above. When the guild hosts a speaker or workshop, the guild subsidizes as it can (member price vs. nonmember price or member only registration), but participants pay the extra fees when it is not possible for the entire guild to be invited. For instance, a retreat can only hold 24 attendees, the guild will assist in planning and paying retreat space deposits, but will not subsidize attendance since not all members can go at once.