We gained eight new members at the meeting! That seems like a record.
Here are some pictures of the brainstorming. There are at least seven people not in this picture.
There was a lot of fabulous show and tell. Please look at the flickr group to see more pictures that Frederick and Lynne took. I'm just going to share a couple of pictures from brand new members. (All photo credits to Lynne)
Linda G. made this beautiful bag. I need to know what pattern this is. Linda? Anyone?
I think this is Angela with the cool arrows quilt. (If I goofed up the name I'm super sorry. Please correct me.)
And here is Mary with her beauty.
We ran out of time for most members to choose committees. I have had some members mention interest in a committee before this meeting, but I didn't want to hold anyone to it until they knew all of the options. The options are now listed below. I have two solid rules for joining a committee. Number one, committee participation is not mandatory so don't sign up unless you have enthusiasm and positivity for the topic and you want to pitch in to make something happen. Number two, if you don't join a committee, there can't be any complaining later that the guild didn't do such-and-such. Being on a committee and communicating ideas are the only way that we'll get to do fun extra things that the Board can't possibly organize with just four people. Okay, that said, here are the options.
Committees (so far)--
- Events and Field Trips: unanticipated committee but there was a lot of interest and discussion at the meeting
- Swaps: Susan and Jamie, they will be in charge of quarterly swaps of small items. Any larger or long term swaps should go to the social or event committees.
- Retreats: Melinda, Liz, Anjeanette, Cathy and Amy.
- Social/Shop Hop: Carissa and Kerry
- Exhibition/Shows: Frederick and Carla
- Challenges/Quilt Along: lots of interest but no one officially signed up to be on the committee
- Charity: (to be discussed at the March meeting because we ran out of time) Heather
- Education: Melinda, Carissa, Lynne and Robin (the Board, but more volunteers welcome)
- DC Venues that are affordable and somewhat spacious (unofficial) committee: Cassandra (@pilarandolivia on IG)
Thank you, thank you, thank you to all. I'm looking forward to a great year of sewing with my friends.