In Anticipation of Garment Sewing Day

Hey DCMQGers!  It's Carissa.  :-)  Well, it's just over a week until our October meeting, which will be held on Saturday, October 17th from 12:00pm to 6:00pm at The Falls Church Episcopal, in Falls Church, VA.  We'll be sewing in the Nicolson Hall again, which is the same auditorium room in which the June meeting was held.  Please refer back to this post to read up on how to find the Nicolson Hall and where to park, etc.  Of note: this is NOT the same room as where both the Lizzy House lecture and the September charity sewing meeting took place recently.  But you can still park in the same area.  Like always, please be sure to bring plenty of extension cords and power strips (as long as possible) so that we can power up all our machines!  And there is the little kitchen area adjacent to this room so feel free to bring snacks or drinks or whatever your heart desires for sewing fuel.

Since we have many talented sewists in the guild who occasionally (or oftentimes!) sew beautiful items of clothing in addition to quilts, we thought we'd invite members our Pam and Cindy to do some informal garment Q & A, tips, tricks, and assorted techniques at the upcoming meeting.  Even if you prefer not to sew/focus on garments at this meeting, please of course still come and work on quilts like a normal meeting!

I, myself, am looking forward to re-learning how to sew clothes.  I learned to sew from my grandmother when I was a little girl and sewed things like poodle skirts and boxer shorts (awesome, right?) for 4-H.  But, in the late 80's, it wasn't exactly trendy to make and wear your own clothes.  So somewhere along the line, I stopped sewing and turned off my creative side for many (way too many) years!  Given the recent resurgence of so many gorgeous patterns and buttery fabrics from which to choose and sew a handmade wardrobe, I figure it's high time that I revisit this skill!  Should be like riding a bike, right?  I plan to start with the Lane Raglan sweatshirt  by designer Hey June that has made quite the rounds on Instagram and sewing blogs.  I bought/downloaded it from Indiesew.com.  I've selected my fabrics (see below) and now just need to cut out my pattern pieces before the meeting so I can ask questions of all you veteran sewists!

Art Gallery Knits fabric from Hawthorne Threads.  The print is from the Skopelos collection by Katarina Roccella.  
I'd like to use the print for the bodice (is that even the right term?) and the solid pink for long sleeves and the trim.  Similar to this picture from the Indiesew website (p.s.  I might need to steal this woman's haircut also!):

Floral Lane Raglan

So, that's my plan and I'm sticking to it!  What do you plan to work on?  Tell us about any cool new patterns you've seen (garment or quilt-wise!!).  And we hope to see you a week from Saturday at the meeting!